Our Scopus Foundation 1987- today
Our Highlights and Achievements
Over the past 30 years the Mount Scopus College Foundation has raised over $54 million dollars to support the programs and facilities of the school.
- Tali Borowski appointed as Executive Director
- Foundation partners with the College, the Zionist Federation of Australia and the Taglit Birthright Israel organisation to create a oneoff program to send Year 12 2022 cohort on a 20-day trip to Israel
- Mark Joel appointed as CEO
- Foundation launches Emergency Campaign to assist families in need as a result of the COVID19 pandemic
- Marlo Newton appointed as Executive Director of the Foundation
- Upgrade and refurbishment of the Besen Family Performing Arts Centre
- L'chaim to honour newly appointed Federal Treasurer, Joshua Frydenberg (OC '88)
- Dedication of the Mohr Outdoor Learning Space at Gandel Besen House.
- Appointment of Ari Suss to the Foundation Executive.
- The Foundation farewells Life Executive members, Roy Tashi OAM and Executive Director, Marilyn Simon
- Finalization for the Master Plan for the total redevelopment of the Gandel Campus at Burwood which will result in a complete transformation of the Lew Family Secondary school and an upgrade of facilities for all students and visitors.
- The establishment of a professionally managed endowment fund – our ‘Future Fund’ – with a significant corpus and policies to aid its growth.
- Dedications of Meydan Family Plaza and Small Family Resource Centre at Smorgon Family Primary School.
- Development of new strategies for seeking support, including corporate partnerships.
- ‘Courage Then, Strength Now’ Exhibition presented by the Helen Synman Archive Project.
- Commitment to process to build Endowment Fund and re-creation of investment committee.
- Appointment of Tony Smorgon as Chairman.
- Henry Lanzer retires after 18 years of distinguished and dedicated leadership as President.
- David Gold assumes the role of President.
- Development of the vision and strategy for a renewed secondary school environment.
- Foundation Celebration Dinner with guest of honour The Hon Tony Abbott MP, Prime Minister.
- Chairman Solomon Lew retires after 26 years of inspirational leadership.
- Lew Family Secondary School dedicated in recognition of the immeasurable contribution of the Lew Family.
- The ‘Alter Family School of Jewish Studies and Ivrit’ was proudly dedicated in honour of the Alter Family’s longstanding support and involvement at Scopus.
- The Hamakom dedicated in memory of Dalia Pizmony.
- Weinman Levy Oval at Gandel Besen House.
- Prep Inquiry Area at Gandel Besen House dedicated by Ann and Arnold Singer.
- Creation of the Leon Liberman Memorial Bursaries by the Lee Liberman Family.
- New building for Smorgon Family Primary School at Gandel Campus.
- The Kikar of Smorgon Family Primary School dedicated by the Roslyn and Richard Rogers Family.
- New furniture, refurbishment and air-conditioning for Secondary School.
- Integrated landscaping, new recreational and sporting areas at every campus
- Students enjoy a new Gandel Besen House.
- Alter Family Plaza at Gandel Besen House.
- Dedication of Helen Synman Archive Project.
- A focused appeal, generously supported by the College’s major benefactors, provided the ability to minimise fee increases and to offer additional bursaries.
- Kitchen Garden Project Primary students learn to grow vegetables, fruits and herbs and to prepare and serve healthy meals.
- Interactive Smartboards enter all classrooms supported by the George and Gita Smorgon family.
- Dedication of Roslyn Smorgon Outreach Program.
- Soccer Oval dedicated by Sue and Michael Karp Family.
- Helen and Bori Liberman Family commence their significant support for the Ulpan Program.
- Slezak Multimedia and Technology Centre
- Birch Family School of Media Studies
- Edit suite dedicated by Gary Berman Family
- Lauren and Bruce Fink School of Information Technology
- Resource centre dedicated by Julie and Joey Borensztajn
- Classrooms dedicated by Linda and David Goldberg, Edith and Sol Greiman, Paula and Jack Hansky, Baba and Andor Schwartz, Debbie and Stephen Szental
- Gersh Family Merkaz
- Susie and Norman Rockman Library
- Sophie and Norman Kave Lounge
- Seminar rooms dedicated by Gregory Rosshandler, Marlen and Leon Carp and Helen and Bernard Carp
- Screen and Image dedicated by Karen Stock-Schnall.
- School visit and Foundation Dinner with Professor Alan Dershowitz.
- $1,800,000 disbursed to the College.
- Szalmuk Family Early Learning Centre.
- Kindergarten classrooms dedicated by Myra and Godfrey Cohen, Judy and Solly Joss, Musia and Arthur Shafir and in memory of David Klamberg and Max Pascoe.
- Creation of the Bnai Brith Harmony Music Scholarship
- Launch of the 'Shared Vision' comprehensive educational policy
- Besen Family Performing Arts Centre
- Alter Family Auditorium
- Baron and Tashi Foyer and Plaza
- Yvonne and Leon Fink Amphitheatre
- Eva and Marc Besen School of Music
- Susie and Eric Stock School of Drama
- Sylvia Gelman Dressing Room
- Paul and Jack Hansky Box Office
- Dina and Mark Munzer Lounge
- Pomeroy Family Bars
- Ramler Control Box
- Rothschild Family Space
- Sheezel and Tashi Sponsors Lounge
- Sculpture by Andrew Rogers
- Renewal and expansion of Fink Karp Ivany Campus.
- Renewal Gandel Campus Station Street entrance, bus and car park.
- ‘5 year – $8,000,000’ Capital Campaign launched by the Hon.Peter Costello, Federal Treasurer
- Baker Family Cafeteria.
- George and Gita Smorgon Sports Complex
- Rita and Sam Kras Basketball Centre
- Kras Payes Weinman Recreation Centre
- Jenny and Noel Levin Sports Pavilion
- Lustig and Moar Aquatic Centre
- Margie and Michael Small Tennis Centre
- Jack Skolnik Oval
- The Gandel Family gift provided for extensive and widespread refurbishment, new biology and primary computer laboratories and upgrading of all technology. In appreciation, the Burwood Campus was dedicated as the Gandel Campus.
- Dedication of the Susie and Eric Stock Drama Studio.
- Extended PE/sport facilities housing the Shafir Family Fitness Centre
1988 - 1993
- New science and art facilities, dedicated by the Alter, Hansky and Lubansky families.
- Five modular classrooms added to Smorgon Family Primary School.
- $3,769,000 disbursed to College for tuition fee assistance.
- Mount Scopus College Foundation launched by Prime Minister Bob Hawke.
A YEAR BY YEAR ANALYSIS OF OUR ACHIEVEMENTS